Last Update: April 14, 2017
Safeguarding your privacy is important to us. For your peace of mind, this website is https secure and all communications are protected by 256-bit encryption. With shared wireless networks accessible virtually anywhere, around every corner and in any coffee shop, we are committed to a safe browsing experience.
Ohana Star Systems is also committed to maintaining your trust by protecting personal information that we collect and use.
Information We Collect
We collect various types of personal information in connection with the Services, namely:
- information you provide us directly;
- information we collect about your device(s) and your use of our Services, including through cookies, web beacons, and other internet technologies;
- and information we obtain from third-party sources.
Personal Information You Provide Us Directly
We collect various types of information and content that you provide us directly. For example, in order to enroll as a member or to access some of our Services, you will be requested to provide us with your name, telephone number, email address and postal address. We also collect other content and information that you provide us directly, including the content and information you may add to your member network or other community profile and photographs or other information or documentation you submit or provide us and the communications that you transmit through our networks. We also collect information that you provide us when you participate in our surveys, games or events. If you do not provide us with the requested information, we may be unable to deliver you the Services in full.
To the extent that you disclose to us any personal information of another individual, we assume that you have obtained such individual’s consent for the disclosure of such personal information as well as the processing of the same in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
Information About Your Device(s) and Your Use of the Services
We collect information about how you use our Services and, depending on the access permissions you have chosen for your device, other information, as specified below, from and about the computers, and other devices where you install or access our Services. We use standard internet technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about your computer or device and your online activity, as explained in more detail in the section on cookies.
The information we collect in this respect is:
- your browser type and operating system;
- IP address and device identifiers;
- your browsing behavior on our Services, such as the amount of time spent viewing our online Services and the links you click within our online Services;
- websites you visit before or after our websites;
- whether you have opened or forwarded our e-mails or connected to offers or links that we send you; and your general or specific geographic location, such as through GPS, Bluetooth or WiFi signals to the extent permitted by the settings of your devices.
Use of Personal Information
We use the personal information that we collect as necessary and appropriate for the following purposes:
- to provide our products and services. We use your personal information to provide you with the products, services, and features that you have requested; to respond to inquiries we receive from you; to verify your identity; to deliver notifications and other operational communications; and for troubleshooting.
- To improve our products and services and to analyze how users navigate and use our products and services and individual features.
- To manage the performance of our products and services.
- To deliver advertising and promotional communications. For example, we may periodically contact you with offers and information about our products, services, features, and events; to send you newsletters or other information about topics that we believe may be of interest; to conduct online surveys; and to otherwise promote our products, services, features, and events. We also may deliver targeted advertisements to you, both on and off the Services.
- For security and to protect, enforce, or defend legal rights, privacy, safety or property, whether our own or that of our employees or agents or others, and to enforce compliance with Ohana Star policies and to comply with applicable law and government requests.
Sharing of Personal Information
We disclose your personal information in the following circumstances to the following parties:
- Our Community. Our Services include an online user network that allows you to share and connect with others. We make sharing and connecting with others easy by creating and emailing you a profile in advance of your use of the Star Network that only contains your name. Upon registering for an Account, you may elect to remain anonymous or have your name and registration information visible to other users. You may supplement your profile by adding additional information about yourself and by posting content and comments and you may be able to share your profile with a broader audience.
- Service Providers. We rely on third-party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf. For example, we may rely on service providers to host data and platforms, fulfill our product and service requests and answer your questions, send e-mails on our behalf, analyze data to improve our products and services.
- Other Parties When Required by Law and as Necessary to Provide and Protect Our Services. There may be instances when we disclose your information to other parties:
- to provide you with the services you request, such as a disclosure of your information to a landlord in connection with a lease agreement, or to auditors or consultants;
- to comply with the law or respond to legal process or a request for cooperation by a government entity or law enforcement;
- to detect, suppress, and prevent fraud or verify and enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services; or
- to protect our rights, property, and safety or that of any of our respective affiliates, business partners, customers or employees and where otherwise required by law.
- Other Parties in Connection with a Corporate Transaction. We will disclose your personal information to an acquirer in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of a business or assets to that third party, such as in connection with a merger or in the event of a bankruptcy reorganization or liquidation.
- Third-Party Partners, With Your Consent. We may request your consent to share personal information about you with third parties so that they may provide you with special offers, promotional materials, and other materials that may be of interest to you.
- Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We also share with third parties information in a manner that does not identify particular individuals, for example, information that has been aggregated with other records.
- Our Services contain links to other sites that we do not own or operate. We provide links to these third-party sites as a convenience to our Members. They are not intended as an endorsement of or referral to the linked services. The linked services are subject to their separate and independent privacy statements, notices, and terms, which we recommend you read carefully. The collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to the privacy policies of the third party and not this Policy.
Third Parties That Provide Content or Functionality on Our Services
We also partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the personal information described in this Policy. For example:
- Third-parties that provide features and functionality on the Services by means of plug-ins. Even if you do not click on or interact with social networking services or other plug-ins, they may collect information about you, such as your IP address and the pages that you view.
- Advertising providers help us and our advertisers provide advertisements on our Services or elsewhere, including advertisements that are targeted based on your online behavior, and analytics companies help us measure and evaluate the usage of our services.
- Other content providers may offer products and services on our Services and may operate contests, sweepstakes, or surveys on our Services.
- Some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers choices about whether to receive targeted advertising. Please visit the websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance to learn more. Further information in local languages may be available at Your Online Choices.
- We have in place various procedures to safeguard your information. Although we take such steps to protect your information, no security program is foolproof and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal or other information.
- Accessing, Reviewing, and Updating Your Personal Information
- To the extent provided for under applicable law, you may access your personal information and directly update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information in light of the nature of our certain aspects of the services.
Your California Privacy Rights
- You may opt out of having your personal information shared with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes by e-mailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites and other online services with which a user communicates. There is no industry standard that governs what, if anything, websites should do when they receive these signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a standard is established and accepted, we may revisit our policy on responding to these signals.
- California residents who are registered members or users of the Services and are under the age of 18 may be entitled under California law to request and obtain removal of content and information that they themselves post on the Services. You may request such removal by emailing us at: email@example.com. In your request, please provide a description of the material that you want removed and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material, including your name, email address, year of birth, mailing address (including city, state, and zip code) and the subject line “California Removal Request.” Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the material. For example, materials that you have posted may be republished or reposted by another user or third party.
Collection of Information From Children
The Services are not directed to children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. Persons over 13 but under 18 years of age should ask their parents for permission before using the Services or sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet.
Privacy laws and guidelines are part of a constantly changing environment. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of this Policy at any time. We encourage you to review this Policy periodically to ensure that you are aware of our current privacy practices, although we may also elect to notify you by e-mail or by posting something on some or all of our online Services. Your continued use of our Services following any changes signifies your acceptance of these changes.
Questions or Comments
If you have any questions or comments regarding our Policy, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Effective Date: April 7, 2017
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Internet Technologies
A cookie is a small file that may be stored on your computer or other device. A cookie enables the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognize it across different websites, services, devices, and browsing sessions. When you use a web browser to access the Services, some browsers may allow you to configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Click the “Help” menu of your browser to learn more about how to change your cookie preferences. The operating system of your device may contain additional controls for cookies. Please note that disabling cookies may affect your ability to access and use certain features of the Services.
Web beacons and similar technologies are small bits of code, which are embedded in web pages, ads, and e-mail that communicate with third parties. We may use web beacons, for example, to count the number of users who have visited a particular web page, to deliver or communicate with cookies, and to understand usage patterns. We also may include web beacons in e-mails to understand whether messages have been opened, acted on, or forwarded.
There are other local storage and Internet technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (also referred to as “Flash cookies”) and HTML5 local storage, that operate similarly to the cookies discussed above in that they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences across different services and sessions. Please note that these technologies are distinct from cookies, and you may not be able to control them using standard browser tools and settings. For information about disabling or deleting information contained in Flash cookies, please click here.
How We Use These Technologies
Our websites use these technologies for the following general purposes:
- Administering and improving our Services, including helping us measure and research the effectiveness of our content, features, advertisements, and other communications. For example, we measure which pages and features website visitors are accessing and how much time they are spending on our webpages. We may include web beacons in e-mails, for example, to understand whether messages have been opened, acted on, or forwarded.
- Storing your sign-in credentials and preferences so that you don’t have to enter those credentials and preferences every time you log on to a Service.
- Helping us and third parties provide you with relevant content and advertising by collecting information about your use of our Services and other websites.